The Mission Hills Neighborhood Council conducted a survey of residents May 2021 reaching out to residents by eblast, Nextdoor and Facebook. We got responses from people living here quite some time identifying what they liked most and least about Mission Hills along with key issues for us to address and suggestions.
We began considering the survey results by discussing them at our July 2021 meeting and will use them to guide our steps as a new Board in our new fiscal year. We will work within our committees and hope to partner with government offices and agencies to help us in our efforts. Scheduling of the different board committees will be available soon and we hope you can join us!
Thank you to everyone who participated. As always, you can reach us at Board@MHNConline.org.
What do you like most about living in Mission Hills?
- Quaint & Tranquil Community and Neighbors
- Location: Close to freeways, shopping, restaurants & Street vendors, medical facilities & other services
- San Fernando Mission & the parks
- LAPD Mission Division & LAFD
- Single Family dwelling
What do you like least about living in Mission Hills?
- Amount of homeless & trailer encampments
- Trash: illegal dumping
- Crime: porch pirates, car break-ins, shoplifting
- Street Vendors
- Establishments closing early
- Illegal car racing on streets & freeways
- Illegal fireworks
- Lack of diversified restaurants & entertainment
- No dog park
- Not enough police
- Inactive community members
What top 3 issues would you like our Neighborhood Council to help address?
- Beautification & Illegal Dumping
- Safety & Homeless Encampments
- Street Vendors
What type of community activities would you like to see more of?
- Beautification Days
- Outdoor & Slow Street Events (Cultural & Historic, Concerts & Movies at the Park, block Parties)
- Farmer’s Market
Over the past couple of years, our neighbors and surrounding communities are dealing with food and housing insecurity. What suggestions do you have for the neighborhood council to help those in need?
- Food & clothing drive for a neighborhood pantry
- Provide or partner with agencies that provide free showers & hair cuts
- Advocate for ‘safe spaces’ with mental health and other services
- Advocate for affordable housing
- Educate community of available resources
- More patrolling
How often do you shop in Mission Hills?
Which type of stores/businesses you wish were in Mission Hills?
- Grocery stores: Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Aldi, Ralphs/Food 4 Less, Vons (needs more variety like the one in Granada Hills), Stater Brothers, Asian Market
- Walkable eating & entertainment
- Office Supply store
- Hardware store
- Bakery / Panaderia
- Non fast foods sit in restaurants
- Pizza restaurant (Round Table, etc.)
- Late night food and bars
- Clothing stores
- Walmart neighborhood store
- In & Out
- Outdoor café shops
- Other sweet type stores (funnel cakes, cookies, etc.)
- Pet store
- Garden Center
- Book Shop
- Regular maintenance of traffic ponds
- Walk way/sidewalk needed near north side of the new playground
- Bike ride events
- Community Murals
- Support small businesses
- Lights at the parks
- Lights on stop signs
- Community activities for children and teens
- Create a dog park within Brand Park
- Better response and communication from 311 and 211 services
- Parking and traffic at the Olivo shopping center is horrible
- If a community volunteer group could be formed to assist older, fixed income residents to maintain their lawns.
- Pleased with the new MHNC board! Keep up the good work!
- Thank you to the neighbors who volunteer to serve on the Neighborhood Council to represent us.
- Keep up the great work! T
- Glad to have the police station, and the good counsel folks who keep us informed and safe.