The DWP made a presentation at our February 4, 2019 meeting explaining their planned project to upgrade 4,740 feet of existing cast iron water pipe with 12″ Earthquake Resistant Ductile Iron Pipe (ERDIP).
The project’s location is:
- Stranwood Ave from Orion Ave to Sepulveda Blvd
- Sepulveda Bl, from Stranwood Ave to San Fernando Mission Bl
- San Fernando Mission Bl, from 44’ WCL Sepulveda Bl to the connection at Brand Park
This work is necessary to
- Develop a seismic-resilient water infrastructure in the area
- Improve the water system reliability and flexibility
- Ensure fire protection
They plan to use material manufactured by an American company, American Pipe Supply. Since 2013, LADWP has been installing ERDIP material manufactured by the Japanese-based company Kubota Corporation. Now LADWP will be using ERDIP material manufactured in the US.
ERDIP is designed for flexibility, responding to such external factors as earthquakes, soil failures, and landslides. Joints are designed to lock and not pull apart.
This location was chosen because of its proximity to an active fault and liquefaction zone. It will serve critical facilities including, Facey Medical, Mission Community Police Station, LAFD 75, a school and emergency shelter area.
Construction is planned for one year starting Spring 2019. In commercial areas work hours would be M-F 9pm to 5am. In residential areas work hours would be from 9am to 3:30pm with occasional Saturday work.
Planned traffic detours and more are outlined in their presentation.